Road Trip Tools
Road Trip Tips
Whether it's a break from the routine or to go visit family, planning a trip is more than just piling everyone in the car. Here are a few tools to help you plan a fun, safe, efficient trip. From checklists to calculators to family activities, we have a number of things to help you get there with no headaches, no hassles and a few laughs along the way.
Planning A Road-Trip Checklist
If you are taking a road trip, planning ahead can help you prevent car trouble. Before you leave, follow these simple guidelines and your car will be well prepared for your journey. Your local Gemini™ Automotive Care facility can assist you with any or all of these steps.
- Change your vehicle's oil. If you have a long drive, your engine will benefit from clean oil to operate smoothly and maximize fuel economy.
- Check tire pressure.
- Check all of your fluids.
- Brake fluid
- Transmission fluid
- Battery electrolytes
- Windshield washer fluid
- Create a spare kit. Taking extra of these items can eliminate a hassle if your car breaks down during your trip.
- Fan belt (Serpentine belt if applicable)
- Radiator hoses
- Set of spark plugs
- A roll of insulating tape
- Prepare your emergency kit. You should always carry an emergency kit in your car, especially if you are taking a long trip. Depending upon the season, use a summer emergency kit or the winter emergency kit as a guide to prepare yours.
- Balance the load. Place heavy items as close to the center of the car as possible. Try to keep the weight evenly distributed. If you need to use the roof rack, keep the stack as low as possible. This will reduce wind resistance for better fuel economy and stability. Be sure items are properly